Monday, August 31, 2009

Life's Lessons

Lonesome TravelerImage by Professor Bop via Flickr
Life’s Lessons


This past week my grandma passed away. At the age of 90 years old it was somewhat expected. She had out lived her husband (my granddad) by 6 years. She has always has been a care taker so it has driven her crazy to have people caring for her these past two years. Her life had been that of a rancher’s wife and she was always happy with it, and had lived a full life. She had lived long enough to see both world wars and all that had come since. She lived through the Great depression and long enough to see several of her grand children grow up and have children and their children have children.

My fondest memories of her was sitting at a bar that separated the dining room from the kitchen and listening to her tell stories of life before the fifties, her childhood and things she had encountered in her life. These stories were interesting all though now all I remember of them are small tidbits here and there.

I have been reflecting on the past and the little time we had spent together and realize that she had affected my life more than I know and the time I had spent with her was all quality time. As I reflect on the time I realize through her stories she had taught me many things.

Some of the things she had taught me;

• When you have nothing you are richer because you are only who you are not a sum of material belongings or of monetary worth.

• Your soul only reflects who you are not what you own.

• Compassion and understanding is mightier than strength

• The power to change the world is within everyone and it is done not by politics but through the care you provide for your own family for it is the only thing you can leave behind to affect the world.

• It is only important how you live your life not what remains after you are dead.

• Acceptance is the key to a full life for the only thing you can change is yourself.

• To touch someone’s life one only needs to care and love, material things can not touch the heart and soul the way a few kind heartfelt words can.

These are only a few things that my grandmother has taught me and I had learned the lessons but hadn’t seen where they had come from. I realize it now and wish I could thank her for it. I had also realized she is one of a few that accepted me for who I am not what she or anyone else would have me be.

My grandmother was a teacher but I have to wonder if she knew how much she had influenced my life and who I am today. She is one of a very few who actually cared enough to touch my heart and soul and leave a mark of love and understanding upon it that will continue to influence and guide me through my journey through life.

For all of that I would thank her for she taught me more than any history book or any other book ever could.


1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of a saying my grandmother used to say: Everything you ever needed to know, you learned in Kindergarten. It's amazing how the simple things stay with you.

    May those we love rest in peace when their time in this life is done.

    ReplyDelete